Sometimes the wintry weather makes us want to stay cuddled next to a fireplace with a mug of hot cocoa, but there are many outdoor winter activities that can be both peaceful and exhilarating. It might seem easier to find fun activities in the warmer summer months, but that can also be the case with the colder weather as well. In New York City, there are many things to do and events to attend during the winter. Here are five of our favorite suggestions:
- Ice Skating. Of course, ice skating is on the top of the list. Whether you have ice skated before or not, NYC’s rinks are friendly to skaters of all levels, from beginner to pro. The Rink at Rockefeller Center even offers private 30-minute skating lessons, as well as classes with two-time Olympian JoJo Starbuck.
- Winter Village. The ice-skating rink at Bryant Park, which offers free admission, is at the center of winter village, but there are also numerous events held there throughout the winter, such as the Winter Carnival. You can also enjoy food and drinks at cafes/restaurants, and relax on the observation deck to warm up and play a game while watching the skaters below.
- Stroll/Horse & Carriage Ride. Take a stroll through Central Park or on a carriage ride through the city while enjoying a hot beverage and taking in the various sights.
- Various Shows. For anyone who loves dogs, you may visit pet-friendly bars and hotels while awaiting the 141st Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. There is also New York’s Botanical Garden’s Orchid Show where you can enjoy movie screenings and performances while relishing in thousands of orchids blooming with beauty. And of course, there are always Broadway shows to attend, with over twenty shows being held per week.
- NYC Helicopter Tour. A New York City helicopter ride is always an amazing experience, especially a day or two after snowfall when you can enjoy a bird’s eye view of a winter wonderland. And though outside temperatures may be frigid, the cabin is heated!
These are just five of literally hundreds of amazing things to do in NYC during the winter. Get bundled up to enjoy ice skating or an outdoor event, or prepare for a cozy ride over the city in a warm helicopter with views of snow sprinkled atop the city.