Dubbed as one of the 7 wonders of the modern world, it’s no surprise that the Empire State Building is one of New York City’s premier attractions. The building is symbolic of NYC itself and we at HeliNY are proud to include this sight in all of our tours.
The Empire State Building is surely a sight to see. In fact, it is the most photographed building in the entire world! Over 4 million people yearly visit the attraction, but few are able to bask in its glory from an aerial view. 1250 ft above the sky, the top part of the building lights up in glorious fashion to shine amongst the city. On a clear day, you are able to see 5 states from the Empire State observatory including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts!
Covering the span of an entire city block, with over 100 floors and its own zip code, the building pays homage to the Great Depression and has since been a national icon for growth and power. The tallest building in the world from its’ construction up until 1973, the Empire State building gave a boost to the nation in one of its darkest times.
Here are some more fun facts about the Empire State Building:
- It’s not a coincidence that the building resembles a pencil. It was designed to look just like one!
- The top of the building is used for major radio broadcasts and commercial TV stations.
- Though it originally cost $40k to build back in the 1930s, it would cost over $7 BILLION to build today!
- An inflatable “King Kong” was placed onto the Empire State for the film’s 50th anniversary.
- The building is named after New York’s oldest nickname: The Empire State.
- The building was constructed during a race to create the world’s tallest building. The Empire State Building took only 13 months (and 7 million hours of labor) to create.
- During special holidays and occasions, the Empire State lights up in custom colors to match.
- Couples can experience a “shock” when they kiss at the pinnacle of the Empire State. This is due to the high electricity in the atmospheric height.
Does this make you want to see the historic building for yourself? Come explore from an amazing aerial view on one of our popular helicopter tours! The only thing better than visiting the top of the Empire State building is flying past it!
HeliNY offers the New Yorker tour, a 15 minute exploration of the beauty of the New York harbor. Views include the extravagant Empire State Building in addition to the Statue of Liberty up close, 120 year old Brooklyn Bridge, and more! We also offer our Ultimate Tour, an extended 20 minute tour that includes the gorgeous George Washington Bridge and New Jersey Palisades. How about our 30 minute DELUXE tour, your ticket to NYC’s most premier tour that includes all of the above plus extravagant views from the Verrazano Bridge, Brooklyn, and Staten Island!
To learn more about our tours, click here!